Water Heater Buying Guide
Written on: November 21, 2022
Which One Is Right for Your Home?
It’s easy to take your water heater for granted when it’s working well. But water heaters are an important part of your home. In fact, your water heater accounts for about 20% of your energy bill.
Because of the important role your water heater plays in the comfort and function of your household, you want to have one that is working well and efficiently.
If it’s time, Ace-Robbins can help you upgrade to a more efficient model. We can also repair or maintain the water heater you already have so that it functions optimally.
Types of Water Heaters
Whether you’re in the market for a new water heater or just want to better understand how the water heater you already have works, here are the basic types of water heaters:
- Conventional or Storage Water Heaters have a tank that stores and keeps water hot until it’s used. They cost less to purchase and install than tankless water heaters, but they’re less efficient than tankless water heaters because if the hot water in the tank isn’t used and cools below a certain temperature, the water heater has to expend energy to heat it again.
- Tankless Water Heaters heat water on demand and efficiently provide an endless supply of hot water. There’s no waiting for water to heat up and no wasted energy reheating water that has cooled down in a tank. That can save you up to 40% on your water heating costs versus a conventional water heater. Tankless water heaters also take up less space and last twice as long as conventional water heaters. Additionally, since there’s no tank, there’s no risk of tank corrosion or tank failure and any associated damage or expense.
- Indirect-Fired Water Heaters use your home’s heating system to heat your water. They’re quite efficient, especially during the cooler months when your heating system is running. And they save you a lot of money, because when your boiler is running, it doesn’t cost you anything to heat your home’s water. However, because they must be integrated with your home’s heating system, installation is more expensive than with conventional or tankless water heaters.
- Direct-Fired Water Heaters are a type of conventional water heater in which a fuel like heating oil gets burned in a combustion chamber under the tank. The heated flue gases then heat the water in the tank. The tank is equipped with insulated walls to help retain the heat. The water heater turns on automatically from time to time in order to keep the water in the tank at a predetermined temperature.
Ace-Robbins can provide water heater installation and service for all makes and models of traditional, tankless, and indirect water heaters. However, we typically recommend the following:
- Traditional Storage Tank: For customers who want a traditional water heater, the Bradford White oil-fired storage water heater is a great choice. It offers exceptional recovery rates as well as energy saving, clean, and reliable performance. There are five models available. Bradford-White also makes propane-fired water heaters.
- Indirect-Fired Water Heaters: We recommend the System 2000 from Energy Kinetics. It’s been rated as the most efficient oil boiler in the world! It has the lowest overall standby heat loss and the best annual efficiency performance of all heating systems tested to date.
- Tankless Water Heaters: A Rinnai tankless water heater is a great way to save on energy costs. It’s energy-saving, space-efficient, and can be installed just about anywhere to provide your home with an endless supply of hot water. Because of how small it is (about the size of a carry-on suitcase), it can be installed on virtually any wall inside or outside your home.
Water heaters can also use different fuels. Ace-Robbins works with both oil-fired and gas-powered water heaters.
If you’re in the market for a new water heater, we can meet with you to discuss your household’s needs, explain your options, and provide you with a free estimate.
We’re here for you.
Whatever your water heater needs—be it repairs, maintenance, or an upgrade, Ace-Robbins is here for you in Northeastern Pennsylvania in Bradford, Lackawanna, Luzerne, Susquehanna, Sullivan, and Wyoming County.
Contact Ace-Robbins today to learn more about our water heater sales and services or to request a free estimate.