Avoid A Fuel Run-Out This Fall And Winter: Here Are 3 Ways
Written on: October 23, 2020
With all that’s going on in our lives these days, it’s easy to forget to take care of some pretty important stuff – like checking the gauge on our heating oil or propane tank.
The problem during is that you are probably using fuel more quickly than you realize, especially when a Pennsylvania cold front moves in – and without keeping a close eye on your fuel levels, you could easily run out.
It goes without saying that being without heat in the middle of winter is no fun, but it’s not the only problem that can result from a fuel run-out: in an oil-fired system, for example, sludge from the bottom of your tank can clog filters and fuel lines, damaging your equipment. If you run out of propane gas, your system automatically shuts down and must be professionally restarted and pressure tested – all at your expense. You could also end up with a propane leak – or frozen pipes resulting from a no-heat emergency.
The bottom line is you definitely want to avoid a fuel run-out. The good news is there are ways to reduce – or even eliminate – the chances of that happening.
Preventing Fuel Run-outs
- Keep an eye out – If you’re a will call customer, monitor your fuel gauge regularly, especially during a cold snap; order when your tank is no less than 25 percent full (sooner if it is really cold). Don’t wait until the last minute – emergency deliveries cost more and immediate service is not always possible. If you want a better option, switch to FREE automatic delivery (see #2 below) and let us keep track of your fuel deliveries for you.
- Keep us in the loop – If you’re an automatic delivery customer, be sure to let us know if anything has changed in your home life compared to previous years; our automatic delivery schedule is based on your average past use, taking into account the current weather, so if something has changed that would affect how much fuel you use (say, if someone moved home that wasn’t there in the past, or if you added an appliance or square footage to your home), please let us know.
- Consider a tank monitor – Want the ultimate peace of mind for your fuel deliveries? Sign up for tank monitoring service from Ace-Robbins. We’ll install a simple device that will let us see, in real time, exactly how much propane or heating oil is in your tank – that way we can schedule your delivery when you need it. No more guesswork or estimates!
Responding To A Fuel Run-out
- Take immediate steps to retain whatever heat you have in your house: close curtains, block under-door drafts, hang blankets over doorways, etc.
- If you have other ways to heat your space, such as fireplace, propane space heater, or electric heater, use them.
- NEVER use outdoor equipment (barbecues, outdoor stoves, etc.) indoors – carbon monoxide build up can be extremely dangerous or even deadly.
- Contact us for an emergency heating oil or propane delivery at 802.644.2749.
Getting low on heating oil or propane? We’ve got both standing by. Contact us today to become an Ace-Robbins customer and get reliable propane and heating oil deliveries in Tunkhannock, PA!