Propane Space Heater And Hearth Safety Tips
Written on: January 18, 2021
According to the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA), space heaters account for more than two out of every five house fires in the U.S. – second only to cooking accidents as a cause of household fires.
Does this mean you should avoid using a space heater in your Wyoming County home? Not at all: most of these incidents are caused by carelessly placed or malfunctioning portable heaters and can be avoided if you have your equipment installed by professionals.
Still, safety should always be the top consideration when using any type of space heater, including a propane hearth. Here are some safety reminders to consider as you continue to warm your Pennsylvania home in the weeks and months to come.
Using Space Heaters And Fireplaces Safely
- Before using any space heater, read the manufacturer’s instructions and warning labels carefully.
- Never leave a space heater unattended. Turn it off when you’re leaving a room or going to sleep.
- Have a three-foot “kid-free zone” around space heaters; do not allow underage children to play in a room with a propane space heater.
- Space heaters are only meant to provide supplemental heat and should never be used to warm bedding, cook food, dry clothing or thaw pipes.
- Install smoke alarms and carbon monoxide alarms on every floor of your home and outside all sleeping areas; test them once per season, and replace them as instructed in your equipment’s owner’s manual. Strongly consider adding propane leak detectors, too.
- Make sure that space heaters are installed correctly and in the right place; keep them at least three feet away from anything that can burn, including papers, clothing and rugs.
- Never use an outdoor heating device (an outdoor grill or outdoor space heater for example) inside your house! They are not equipped to safely ventilate in your indoor space.
- Get your space heater and other propane-powered equipment serviced and inspected by a professional every year.
- Always have your propane space heaters installed by a professional who understands how to properly connect and ventilate your system. Whether you have a propane wall heater, a propane fireplace, or a propane fireplace insert, direct-vent heating appliance installation is NOT a DIY job.
At Ace-Robbins, your safety is ALWAYS our #1 priority. If you have any questions about propane safety for your hearth, appliances, or anything else in your home, contact us today – and if you’re interested in installing a direct vent propane hearth in your home, ask us for a FREE, no obligation estimate!