Seven Ways to Help Your Dishwasher Run Better
Written on: June 1, 2020
Most of us are eating at home much more often these days, which means your dishwasher is probably getting quite a workout.
To make sure it keeps getting the job done as efficiently as possible, try these seven tips in the weeks and months ahead.
7 Tips on dishwasher use and care:
- Scrape your plates – Scrape bits of food off your plates before loading them.
- Load it properly – It’s better to wash a some plates by hand than it is to have to rerun the load because dishes were too tightly packed. For tips from Whirlpool for how to load your dishwasher correctly, check out this link.
- Run hot water first – Before starting your dishwasher, run your kitchen faucet until the water is hot. This means hot water from your water heater has reached the kitchen area, so its first cleaning cycle will use hot water rather than cold.
- Clean it from the inside – Here’s a tip from quickanddirtytips.com: Pour one cup of white vinegar into an open dishwasher-safe container and place it in the top rack of the machine, then start the hot cycle. Afterward, pour baking soda along the bottom of the dishwasher and start a short wash cycle.
- Clean seals periodically – The rubber gasket around your dishwasher door can accumulate food particles and grime over time. Give it a once-over periodically with a damp towel.
- Set your water heater thermostat to 120° – Make sure your water heater is set about 120° – the ideal temperature for washing dishes. Turn temperatures higher and it will cause water to flash dry rather than roll off your dishes.
- Test your water – Hard water (water with too many minerals in it) inhibits your dishwasher’s ability to get dishes really clean. Test your household water and soften accordingly.
Of course, no amount of preparation and cleaning can save a dishwasher that’s on its last legs. If you need to install a new dishwasher in eastern PA, we can help. We have dozens of models available from top brands like Maytag, Amana, Whirlpool and Kitchen Aid*.
* Did you know that you can unlock up to $1,700 in rebates via prepaid card by mail when you purchase select KitchenAid brand appliances – including dishwashers? Contact us today to learn more – but hurry: this offer expires July 11, 2020!