Is Propane or Electricity the Better Choice?
Written on: October 11, 2021
We Actually Need Both
There’s been a lot of recent talk about the electrification movement—the push to use only electric-powered home equipment. A lot of municipalities are trying to bring about the complete electrification of homes. However, even when trying to make the most eco-friendly choices, electricity isn’t the whole answer. The truth is, electricity has its uses, but it isn’t without some serious disadvantages. In addition, propane has a lot to offer and may still be the right choice for you. Chances are your Pennsylvania home will rely on both.
Benefits of Propane
Even though going all electric is becoming more and more popular, there are lots of reasons to stick with propane in your Northeastern Pennsylvania home. In fact, there are some ways in which propane out-performs electricity. Here are seven:
- Propane saves you money. Appliances that run on propane are extremely efficient and so cost less to operate. According to the U.S. Department of Energy, you can save $174 a year just by using a propane water heater instead of an electric one. Propane water heaters can cost 30%-50% less to operate than their electric counterparts.
- Propane is very versatile. Propane can do more than warm your home. It can also power appliances like your oven, clothes dryer, and water heater. Propane is also useful for outdoor appliances such as grills, pool heaters, and patio heaters.
- Propane is reliable. If the electric grid fails, your propane deliveries won’t be affected. Propane can keep your generator running. And a whole-house generator can keep your whole home up and running during extreme weather and power outages.
- Propane is easy to store. Propane doesn’t degrade over time and propane tanks don’t require much maintenance. In fact, you can keep one in storage for up to 40 years!
- Propane gets the job done quickly. A propane water heater can produce twice the volume of hot water as an electric heater in the same time span. A propane clothes dryers can dry your laundry 25% faster than an electric dryer and won’t cause as much static. Propane space heaters are also significantly more efficient than electric heaters.
- Propane is greener than you think. Because most of the US electricity supply comes from coal-burning power plants, electricity is the second-largest greenhouse gas source in America (only transportation ranks higher). Your propane appliances have a relatively small carbon footprint. For example, propane water heaters produce about half the carbon emissions of electric water heaters.
- Propane offers longevity. The average lifespan of a propane gas furnace is 20 years. For an electric heat pump, it’s just 14 years.
There are a lot of reasons to keep using propane in your home, and you can rely on Ace-Robbins for safe, reliable, and affordable fuel delivery. Our skilled technicians also perform tank installation, maintenance, and repair a wide range of propane equipment. Click here to see if you live in our service area.
Ace-Robbins is proud of our exceptional service in Northeastern Pennsylvania. Join our family of happy customers. Contact Ace-Robbins today for more information on the services we provide or to schedule your next delivery of fuel.