Mini Split Vs Central Air Conditioning
Written on: March 20, 2023
Choosing the right AC for your home and budget
It can be daunting consider all the options for cooling your home, but we’ve got you covered when comparing the details about ductless mini-splits and central air systems. Read on to get the scoop on how mini-splits stack up against central air, and how they can both make your life easier – and more comfortable! – all year in Bradford, Lackawanna, Luzerne, Susquehanna, Sullivan and Wyoming counties.
What’s the difference between mini-splits and central air?
Heating and cooling both involve managing heat, but modern systems accomplish this goal in different ways:
- Central air conditioners cool down warm air, similarly to how traditional furnaces generate heat: by changing the temperature of the air it’s impacting. Modern central air systems can be impressively efficient, saving you cooling costs for years to come.
- Heat pumps “gather” the heat that already exists in and around a home with a compressor to harness its potential, either by circulating the consolidated heat to warm a space or expelling the gathered heat to cool the space. A heat pump can compress and move heat from indoors to outdoors (and vice versa).
- Ductless mini-splits: Heat pump technology can be coupled with a mini split HVAC system that doesn’t use ductwork. Ductless mini-split systems can be a great choice for your home. The main benefits of mini-splits are that they are small in size and capable of zoned cooling of individual rooms. In other words, a ductless system lets you put cooling (or heating) precisely where you need it. This zoned cooling enables these mini-split systems to be much more energy-efficient and cost-effective. With ductless mini-splits, you can enjoy air conditioning even if your home doesn’t have the ductwork necessary for central air conditioning.
Ductless air conditioning installation
If you prefer not to install ductwork, or if this is not an option for your home, that’s not a problem. Besides traditional central air conditioning units, we also install Mistubishi Electric ductless mini-split systems. Mitsubishi has been a world leader in air conditioning systems for residential, commercial and industrial use since 1921. We can easily install multiple indoor units, which all connect to one outdoor compressor. Only minimum drilling is necessary to complete the installation of your ductless system.
Central air systems we install
A new, high-efficiency system could cut your cooling costs in half—and eliminate the expense and annoyance of breakdowns—while keeping your home more comfortable, no matter how high the mercury soars. These are the brands we strongly recommend:
- Ruud: Well built, durable and affordable, Ruud central air conditioning systems feature three series of varying efficiency-level models: The Ultra, the Achiever and the Value.
- Thermo Pride: Made in the U.S. and renowned for its whisper-quiet operation, Thermo Pride air conditioning units feature high-efficiency and ultra-high-efficiency models, along with extended warranties.
- Lennox: Indoor air handling systems, like the Lennox, blow air through the evaporator coil, and then transfer it throughout the home, using the duct work to ensure you get either heated or cooled air. They can also improve indoor air quality when used in conjunction with humidifiers, air purifiers, etc.
Stay cool, trust Ace- Robbins today
At Ace- Robbins, we can evaluate your home and determine the best type of cooling unit for your needs. No matter whether you select a ductless mini-split system, or central air, we can expertly install your system in just a day or two. Contact us to set up an appointment for a no-obligation consultation. Find out why so many customers in Northeastern Pennsylvania choose us!
If you’re not buying your fuel from Ace-Robbins or relying on us for your HVAC service, don’t wait another day. When you become a customer, you’ll enjoy fair prices, personal service, convenience and value that can’t be beat.