Is Your Water Heater Doing Its Job?
Written on: December 18, 2023
Is It Time for a New One?
Take a moment to fully appreciate how hard your water heater works. Water heating accounts for roughly 20% of your energy bills. It’s easy to take your water heater for granted until something goes wrong, but your water heater works very hard to keep your family clean and comfortable by heating water for bathing, washing hands, cleaning dishes, washing clothes, and more.
Unfortunately, your water heater won’t last forever. Is it time to replace yours? Ace-Robbins is here for you. We’ll meet with you to discuss your household’s needs. We’ll explain the different options available to you. And we’ll provide you with a completely free estimate for water heater installation.
Signs of Water Heater Failure
Don’t wait until your water heater breaks down to replace it. When a water heater fails, it can cause thousands of dollars in water damage. Additionally, you’ll be without hot water until your new water heater is installed. You can save yourself a lot of stress and expense by keeping an eye on your water heater and making sure it’s doing its job properly. If it isn’t, call the experts at Ace-Robbins.
Fortunately, water heater breakdowns don’t usually happen without any warning. There are usually some clear signs of trouble first. Here are five signs your water heater probably isn’t doing its job:
- An energy bill increase. If there’s an increase in your energy bills that can’t be explained by an increase in fuel prices or an increase in your hot water usage, then your water heater may be to blame. Water heaters lose efficiency as they get older. Upgrading to a new, highly efficient water heater could save you a lot of money over time.
- Leaks or rusty water. If you notice puddles under your tank or if it starts producing rusty water, that’s a sign of corrosion. This problem is particularly common with steel tanks. Leaks and rust are not problems you can afford to ignore. They’re both signs that your water tank is probably very close to breaking down completely.
- Hard water stains. Hard water stains show up as white marks on your silverware and glassware after they’ve gone through the dishwasher. Having hard water usually means there is a lime buildup in your tank. A lime buildup in your tank can decrease your water heater’s efficiency and shorten its lifespan.
- Weird noises. If you hear growling or gurgling sounds coming from your storage tank, it’s probably due to a build-up of sediment in the tank. This is not a problem you should ignore because ignoring it for too long will lead to serious problems that require expensive repairs or premature replacement.
- Your water heater’s age. A well-maintained water heater should last approximately 10 years. Once it reaches that age, even if your water heater isn’t showing any signs of trouble, it is still a good idea to replace it. Your new water heater will run more efficiently and reliably—saving you money on your energy bills.
Ace-Robbins can provide water heater installation and service for all makes and models of traditional, tankless, and indirect water heaters. However, we recommend the following brands and models:
- Traditional Storage Tank Water Heater: The Bradford White oil-fired storage water heater offers exceptional recovery rates and energy-saving, clean, and reliable performance. There are five models available, in center and rear flue configurations. Bradford-White also makes propane-fired water heaters.
- Indirect-Fired Water Heater: The System 2000 from Energy Kinetics has been rated as the most efficient oil boiler in the world by Brookhaven National Laboratory. It has the lowest overall standby heat loss and the best annual efficiency performance of all heating systems tested to date.
- Tankless Water Heater: A Rinnai tankless water heater will help you save money on energy costs. It’s energy-saving, space-efficient, and can be installed just about anywhere to provide your home with an endless supply of hot water.
Your choices don’t end there. Ace-Robbins services and installs all of the top brands of water heaters. In addition to high-efficiency tankless water heaters, you can also choose from traditional tank storage water heaters and indirect water heaters that work with your boiler.
We’re Here for You
Ace-Robbins is here for our customers in Bradford, Lackawanna, Luzerne, Susquehanna, Sullivan, and Wyoming County.
Contact Ace-Robbins today for more information on water heaters or to request a free estimate.