How To Choose A Propane Gas Log Set
Written on: November 11, 2019
If you’ve recently decided to add a propane gas log set to your existing masonry fireplace, congratulations – you’ve made a good choice! Not only will it make it much easier to enjoy an evening in front of the fire, but it will also boost the heating efficiency of your hearthside evenings by a factor of four.
So what’s the next step on the road to gas log ownership? The sensible move is to choose between direct vent and vent-free options: each has its pros and cons, and the best choice for you will depend on your needs, your home, and your local building codes.
Here’s a quick summary of considerations for each of the two propane gas log possibilities:
Vent-free propane gas log sets
- Vent-free log sets are considered space heaters and have similar features, including a safety shut-off, room oxygen sensor, and nearly 100 percent heating efficiency.
- The flame on a vent-free log set is reduced so it burns less fuel and emits fewer exhaust fumes in order to meet safety standards; a typical vent-free log set is rated at about 40,000 BTUs / hour.
- Vent-free log sets are great if you want an efficient heat source for a small- to medium-sized fireplace, or if you want a back-up heat source during power outages. However, some building codes prohibit the use of vent-free heaters in living spaces, so be sure to do your research before committing to buying one!
Vented propane gas log sets
- Vented gas logs are designed to produce bigger flames, but this comes a cost of fuel: vented fire log sets burn about twice as much fuel as a vent-free log set – about 80,000 to 90,000 BTUs/hour.
- Vented gas log sets are also less efficient, since some of the heat they produce escapes through the chimney.
- Vented log sets are great if you have a large fireplace, want a blazing fire and can live with lower efficiency and higher fuel bills.
Not sure which propane gas log set is right for your fireplace? Contact the propane hearth experts at Ace-Robbins today and let’s talk about it.
And if you’ve always dreamed of having a fireplace but have settled for a blank wall instead, guess what – a propane fireplace may be more affordable than you think! Contact us today to learn more and get a FREE, no obligation estimate on a propane hearth installation for your Tunkannock, PA-area home.