Freezer Organizing Tips For The Holidays
Written on: December 16, 2019
The holiday season is here– and with it comes big meals and lots of leftovers. Without a little organization, those leftovers can easily get lost in the freezer shuffle and forgotten about until months later. Here are seven freezer-organizing tips and hacks that will help you avoid that problem.
Tips For Arranging Your Freezer Goods
- Label everything – Use a Sharpie re-sealable freezer bags to keep track of what’s in your freezer, when you put it in there, and when you need to use it by.
- Use a food sealer – Food sealers range in cost from about $50 to $150 – but they’ll save you far more than that over the course of a year by keeping freezer ice off your food.
- Use an inventory app – User-friendly apps can help you keep track of what’s in your freezer and how long it should last. Fridge Pal, Fridge Check, and Fresh Box are just some of the available options.
- Divide meals into individual servings – Portion out your meals or ingredients ahead of time, freeze them individually, then use only what you need.
- Keep it frost-free – Ice build-up can rob you of both space and efficiency, so stay on top of defrosting. If you want to be spared the hassle of defrosting and paying more than you should for electricity bills, invest in a high-efficiency frost-free freezer.
- Use only the shelves and drawers you need – Many freezer shelves and drawers are removable – use what you need and take the rest out.
- Get creative – Try using these unconventional freezer organizing devices:
- Recycled milk containers – Pour frozen fruits and veggies into the container, then grab what you need when you need it.
- Magnetized containers – Use magnetized containers (from craft or office supply stores) to store smaller items like fresh-cut herbs.
- Freezer bags – Quart sized freezer storage bags are great for storing items flat – even sauces! Lay the bag flat to freeze, then stand it on its side for compact storage – you can even hang them from binder clips from your slotted shelf!
Still don’t have enough room in your freezer? We can help! Ace-Robbins features top quality, high efficiency, frost-free chest freezers and upright freezers from Amana, Maytag, Whirlpool, and more. Visit our Tunkhannock, PA showroom to see our full line of freezers or any of the other appliances that can make your holidays happier!