Five Reasons to Replace Your Window A/C with a Ductless Air Conditioner
Written on: March 25, 2019
If your Pennsylvania home doesn’t have ductwork (pretty common in older homes), chances are you are using window air conditioners to cool it. But there’s a much option if central air isn’t possible for you: a ductless air conditioning system.
Ductless systems (also called “mini-splits”) are quieter, more efficient, and less obtrusive to your living space than window A/Cs – and you don’t have to risk a hernia pulling them in and out of the basement or attic every year.
Here are some great advantages of a ductless system compared to window (and even central) air conditioners:
- Higher efficiency – Ductless systems are extremely efficient, with many models from Mitsubishi having SEER ratings of 18 or more – well more than the 14 or 15 rating of most window models.
- Better air quality – In a central air system, your ductwork creates the perfect conditions for growing mold and other harmful microorganisms. Since a mini-split doesn’t need ductwork, it avoids those problems altogether.
- More flexible placement – Mini-split air handlers (the indoor component in a ductless system) vary in size and can be installed in basements, attics, and even rooms with no windows to create flexible cooling zones in your home.
- Easier installation – Installing a ductless system usually takes about a day – much shorter than a central air system. And once it’s in, it’s in – unlike a window A/C that has to be removed and re-installed every year. With a mini-split, all you need is a wall and one or two 2- to 3-inch holes to connect the air handlers to the outdoor condenser.
- Better environmental performance – Not only is a mini-split much more efficient than a window A/C, it also typically uses a more ozone-friendly refrigerant (R410A) than a typical window unit. That means fewer toxins and fewer carbon emissions for every hour you run your unit.
Curious about the benefits of a Mitsubishi ductless system for your PA home? Contact us today for a FREE, no obligation estimate and learn how affordable one of these great systems can be!