Cut Costs While Staying Warm This Winter
Written on: December 6, 2021
Tips for making your home more energy efficient this season
Fall got off to a rather mild start this year, but winter is well on its way. Northeastern Pennsylvania has already experienced its first frost. And we all know even colder weather is coming. The drop in temperatures always means a rise in heating costs. But there are some simple steps you can take to keep your heating bills from getting out of control this winter.
5 Tips for Lowering Your Winter Heating Bills
- Use a programmable thermostat: A programmable thermostat puts your comfort and ability to save money at your fingertips. And they’re very easy to use. Simply set your thermostat to lower the temperature in your home by roughly 6 degrees when your family is out for the day and when everyone is asleep at night. That simple act can save you up to 10% on your heating bills each year. Similarly, lower your thermostat when your home will be empty for days at a time while your family is travelling.
- Reduce drafts: If your home is drafty, you may be losing as much as 20% of your heated air through the spaces around your windows and doors, your chimney, ductwork, and any other places air escapes from your house. Simply caulking windows and adding door sweeps and weather stripping can help keep the warm air you’re paying to heat inside where you want it. You’ll also reap the benefits on your energy bills during the summer months because your air conditioner won’t have to work as hard to keep your home cool.
- Insulate: Similar to reducing drafts, adding insulation will help maintain the desired temperature in your home. Your heating system won’t have to work as hard because your house will be better able to stay warm. Chances are your attic isn’t insulated. Now’s a good time to change that.
- Harness the power of the sun: Take advantage of a free source of energy, the sun. Open your curtains during daylight hours to let as much heat in as possible. Then close your curtains at night to help hold the heat inside your house.
- Sign up for EZ Pay: Enrolling in the Ace-Robbins EZ Pay Plan allows you to keep your heating bills predictable and save money. We’ll divide your estimated heating payments into 12 affordable monthly installments, so you’ll always know what to expect. Plus, as an EZ Pay customer, you’ll receive a 15-cent-per-gallon discount on each and every delivery. And if you’re over 65, you’ll save an additional 5 cents per gallon on each delivery.
Now that you know the best ways to save money while staying warm this winter, make sure you’re getting the best in fuel delivery also. Whether you use propane or heating oil, you can rely on Ace-Robbins for safe, reliable, and affordable fuel delivery. Click here to see if you live in our service area.
Ace-Robbins provides exceptional service to our customers in Northeastern Pennsylvania. Contact Ace-Robbins today for more information on the services we provide or to schedule your next delivery of fuel. And be sure to ask about our EZ Pay Plan.