Written on: August 10, 2020
If you have an appliance that burns fuel to produce energy – whether it is a water heater, furnace, boiler, fireplace, or cooking range – it emits at least some carbon monoxide (CO) as it runs.
If properly vented with functioning equipment, these emissions are harmless – but if CO accumulates in your home, it can cause carbon monoxide poisoning – a dangerous and possibly deadly threat.
Here’s what you need to know about carbon monoxide, its dangers, and how to prevent them.
Carbon monoxide is an invisible, odorless gas produced by burning any fuel, including heating oil, gasoline, coal, wood, charcoal, kerosene, propane, or natural gas.
A buildup of CO typically occurs due to improper ventilation or broken equipment. Some causes of CO buildup include operating unvented appliances for too long, a broken or improperly maintained heating system, a backdraft near the heating appliance, or a blocked flue or vent.
Symptoms of CO poisoning vary depending on the amount of exposure to the gas. Mild symptoms include flu-like headaches, nausea, fatigue, and dizziness; moderate symptoms include severe headaches, drowsiness, confusion, and disorientation; extreme case symptoms include unconsciousness, convulsions, heart failure, and in rare cases death.
If you are experiencing CO poisoning symptoms,
Always assume your CO alarm is operating correctly! If it sounds,
At Ace-Robbins, your safety is always our priority! If you have any questions about carbon monoxide safety, or believe that any of your equipment requires expert heating repair in southeastern PA, contact us today.