Save Energy With Your Air Conditioning System
Written on: July 17, 2023
Tips & Tricks for Lower Bills
If you want to stay cool and comfortable in your Northeastern Pennsylvania home while keeping your air conditioning energy use under control, there are a few things you can do. Follow the tips below and you’ll be comfortable without sending you energy bills through the roof:
- To prevent a lot of unwanted heat entering your home through the windows, close your curtains or shades during the day. This will reduce the demand on your AC.
- Make your home more energy efficient by caulking windows, installing door sweeps, and adding insulation. These simple steps will make your home more energy efficient overall, so doing these things will also save you money on your heating bills during the winter!
- Avoid running heat-generating appliances inside your home. For example, try drying your clothes outside on a line instead of in the clothes dryer. Power up your BBQ grill and give your home’s range and oven a rest.
- Since hot air rises, you can feel cooler at bedtime by moving your mattress to the floor or a lower level of your home. You’ll also feel cooler throughout the night if you use breathable cotton sheets and buckwheat pillows.
- Use a programmable thermostat. Let your home get a bit hotter (and give your AC a rest) during those hours when the house will be empty or you and your family will be asleep. For each degree higher you go, you could save 3% to 5% a day on your AC bills.
- Routinely change the air filters on your AC. A clogged air filter will reduce your AC’s efficiency. Lower efficiency translates to higher energy bills. The more efficiently your system runs, the less it costs to keep it running.
- Sign up for the Ace-Robbins Cooling Maintenance Plan. For less than the cost of a typical repair, you’ll get our annual multipoint tune-up to keep your system running at peak efficiency, which helps keep cooling costs down. Regular central air maintenance is an important part of getting the most out of your AC.
AC Warning Signs
Worried your AC needs more than maintenance? Here are some indicators that something is wrong with your cooling system:
- Weird noises (e.g., whistling, popping, buzzing, clanging, or rattling)
- Uneven cooling (e.g., one room gets cool but another one doesn’t)
- An increase in your utility bill that isn’t explained by increased usage etc.
- Inconsistent airflow throughout your home
- An increase in allergy symptoms when you and your family are indoors
- Weird smells (e.g., mustiness)
If any of the above is happening in your home, it’s time to call Ace-Robbins for service. We’ll come quickly with all the tools and replacement parts needed to get the job done right the first time.
You Can Count on Ace-Robbins
You can count on Ace-Robbins to keep you cool all summer with our full range of cooling services for central air conditioning systems and ductless mini-split units. We offer affordable rates for installation, repair, and service in Bradford, Lackawanna, Luzerne, Susquehanna, Sullivan, and Wyoming County.
Contact Ace-Robbins today to learn more, schedule your next service visit, or to enroll in our Cooling Maintenance Plan.